Do You Need Help With Your Disability Claim?

Disability Attorneys and Advocates can help you in all phases of the disability claim process.

Contact an advocate today for your FREE case evaluation!

Free Online Evaluation!

Tap For A Free Evaluation!

SSDI - Calculation is incorrect what can I do?

SSDI and incorrect SSDI payments

Given that the Social Security Administration is a large government agency which employs thousands of employees and manages data for millions of Americans it is not hard to believe that they can make mistakes. Recently on our disability forum we had a claimant ask what they can do if their Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) calculation is incorrect.

Why would my calculation be incorrect?

There are several reasons your SSDI or SSA retirement calculation and benefits payments could be incorrect including:

What does the SSA recommend?

The Social Security Administration actually recommends that it is up to you to verify “your name and Social Security number on your Social Security card agree with your employer’s payroll records and W-2 form so that they can credit your earnings to your record. If your Social Security card is incorrect, contact any Social Security office to make changes. Check your W-2 form to make sure your employer’s record is correct, and if it is not, make sure your employer has the accurate information.”

The SSA also sends you an annual Statement of Earnings report that should be verified each year to make sure your earnings record on your Social Security Statement is correct. According to the SSA, you can also verify this information online if you are ages 18 and older. To review your Statement, go to and create an account. If your Statement does not include all of your earnings, let your employer and Social Security office know about any incorrect information. You can provide information from your tax return or pay stubs to dispute misreported information to the SSA.

Why does it matter if your information is correct? If you are attempting to earn enough work credits for SSDI and your income is lower than it should be you will not receive the work credits you are due and you may be ineligible for SSDI in the future if you do not have sufficient work credits.

Errors can also occur if someone else has stolen your Social Security Number and is receiving income. If you state that you became disabled on a specific date but someone else is getting income using your number it may look like you were working when you were actually disabled. This can affect your disability date and could result in lower SSDI payments.

What do I do to correct payment issues?

Payment issues are generally dealt with directly with the SSA. Contact the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 and find out the best way to challenge the benefit amount. Lawyers generally do not get involved in these issues. The best thing to do is review the information provided by the SSA each year to insure it is accurate.
Related articles

Enhanced by Zemanta