Do You Need Help With Your Disability Claim?

Disability Attorneys and Advocates can help you in all phases of the disability claim process.

Contact an advocate today for your FREE case evaluation!

Free Online Evaluation!

Tap For A Free Evaluation!

Housing Assistance from HUD for disability recipients

If you are disabled and unable to work you may also be interested in locating affordable housing. The Federal Government is a large organization with numerous departments; it’s no wonder you might be confused about who to contact and where to find the information you may need.

On our disability forum we get many questions from disability applicants who have questions about getting housing assistance, but unfortunately, the Social Security Administration, although it is part of the Federal Government, does not provide rental or housing assistance. This assistance is provided by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) which is also part of the Federal Government.

HUD is responsible for managing all aid to local housing agencies and low income subsidies to residents so they can afford to rent or buy a home. Assistance is generally provided to those who are low-income, elderly, or disabled. Currently, there are approximately 1.2 million households living in public housing units, managed by some 3,300 HAs.

How does the Federal Government and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development decide if you qualify for HUD housing?

There are several factors that HUD will use to determine if you are eligible for assistance. According to the HUD website they will evaluate the following:

1) Annual gross income;

2) Whether you qualify as elderly, a person with a disability, or as a family; and

3) U.S. citizenship or eligible immigration status.

HUD also will seek references from friends, landlords and neighbors. Their goal is to ensure that if you are given HUD housing that you will continue to have a positive effect on the surrounding neighborhood and other tenants in the housing area.

Information requested by the Federal Government for the HUD application

Information which must be provided by a HUD applicant will vary by city or county but generally includes the names of all residents who will live in the housing space, their telephone number, their current address, their family characteristics, their names and addresses of their current and previous landlords, estimates of current and projected income, names and addresses of employers, banks, and any other information the HA would need to verify their income and deductions, birth certificates and tax returns which can be used to verify the information given on the HUD application.

What is the income limit?

Income limits can vary depending on where you live. According to the HUD website, “HUD sets the lower income limits at 80% and very low income limits at 50% of the median income for the county or metropolitan area in which you choose to live. “

How is rent decided?

Rent is called the Total Tenant Payment (TTP) in this program, and is determined by a family’s anticipated gross annual earnings less deductions (potential deductions include $480 for each dependent; $400 for any elderly family, or a person with a disability; and some medical deductions for families headed by an elderly person or a person with disabilities).

Information below is provided on the HUD website:

The formula used in determining the TTP is the highest of the following, rounded to the nearest dollar:

(1) 30 percent of the monthly adjusted income. (Monthly Adjusted Income is annual income less deductions allowed by the regulations);

(2) 10 percent of monthly income;

(3) Welfare rent, if applicable; or

(4) $25 minimum rent or higher amount (up to $50) set by an HA.

If you are a Supplemental Security Income disability recipient it is likely that you would also qualify for some type of housing assistance. For more information visit the U.S. Housing and Urban Development website.