Do You Need Help With Your Disability Claim?

Disability Attorneys and Advocates can help you in all phases of the disability claim process.

Contact an advocate today for your FREE case evaluation!

Free Online Evaluation!

Tap For A Free Evaluation!

7 Uncommon Reasons you could lose your benefits

Disabled workers may lose their Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits for many reasons: returning to substantial employment, reaching their full retirement age or being declared not disabled by the SSA. What many SSDI recipients do not realize is these are only the main reasons SSDI benefits may be terminated. There are other less common reasons and this blog will address each one.

English: Concertina razor wire at a prison

1.    There is an outstanding warrant for your arrest.

SSDI recipients who have an outstanding arrest warrant issued for a felony offense may lose their SSDI benefits. Warrants can include any of the following: escape from police custody, flight-escape, or flight to avoid prosecution or confinement.

According to the SSA,“you cannot receive regular retirement, survivors, or disability benefits, or any underpayments you may be due, for any month in which there is an outstanding arrest warrant for any of these felony offenses.”

2.    You violate the conditions of your parole

SSDI recipients cannot receive SSDI benefits for any month in which they have violated the conditions of their parole.

3.    You are convicted of a criminal offense

SSDI recipients will not receive SSDI benefits while they are in prison if they have been convicted of a criminal offense. If your family is receiving SSDI auxiliary benefits they generally will continue to receive these benefits.

4.    Confined to an institution because of a criminal offense.

What about the individual who has committed a criminal offense but who has been found either incompetent to stand trial or no guilty due to reason of insanity? The Federal Government will not continue to pay them SSDI benefits if they have committed a criminal offense and they are confined to an institution.

5.    You have left the United States and travelled abroad

If you are receiving SSDI benefits and decide to move or travel abroad the U.S. Government can generally continue to send you your SSDI payments. According to the SSA, there are several governments, however, who do not allow SSDI payment to continue. These countries include Cambodia, Cuba, North Korea, Vietnam and areas that were in the former Soviet Union (other than Armenia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Russia). There may be some exceptions, although currently no payments are sent to North Korea or Cuba. Talk to the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 if you have questions. There is specific information the SSA needs to process your disability claims.

For more information, ask for Your Payments While You Are Outside The United States (Publication No. 05-10137).

6.    Your citizenship changes

If your citizenship chances you need to contact the SSA and notify them.

7.    If a beneficiary dies

If you are receiving SSDI auxiliary benefits and the disabled worker dies you need to notify the SSA. It may be possible for you to receive Social Security survivor benefits

, but communication with the SSA is imperative to avoid overpayment.
Related articles

Enhanced by Zemanta